Another top US tennis tournament has been postponed because of COVID-19

Tennis officials announced Wednesday that one of the most important US tennis tournaments will not take place in the United States this spring. The reason is because the country was unable to control the coronavirus.

The BNP Paribas Open, scheduled to be held in Indian Wells, California, in March, has been postponed, most likely until the end of 2021. Professional tennis tournaments have not announced a replacement date.

The ATP Tour said in a statement that alternate dates are being evaluated so the tournament is likely to take place later in the year. Future tournaments are still on the schedule.

Indian Wells is not among the sport’s four Grand Slam tournaments, but it is the next level of importance to both men’s and women’s tournaments. Officials have been rolling around for weeks trying to find a way to save the event as coronavirus infection rates rise in the United States, especially in California.

The tournament, known unofficially as “The Fifth Contest”, represents a rare opportunity to promote the sport to nearly all of the world’s top players in the States. States. Now those players will most likely make an appearance in the US at the Miami Open at the end of March, assuming that tournament is still on schedule, and then come back after Wimbledon mid-summer for the season. The thrill that culminated was the US Open in late August.

The announcement of the change is the latest disruption in a sport that has been inactive for five months this year because of the coronavirus pandemic, which began with the Indian Wells tournament.

The United States Open started in New York in late August, on schedule, but had no audience and with most of the players joining the Long Island hotel pair when they weren’t competing. The expansion solution started moving to the end of September from the end of May. It took place in front of a large audience in the shady conditions.

Tennis officials hope that after Miami, the sport can begin its usual clay court schedule in the spring, with events in Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome and then the French Open at Roland Garros in Paris, is scheduled to start at the end of the year.

Continue Reading

Tennis: The impact of COVID-19 on Us Open 2020

The US Open 2020 remains in place despite the COVID-19 translation. However, this tournament has many changes.

The US Open 2020 is the second Grand Slam this year after the Australian Open earlier this year. This is the 140th time the US Open has been held. This tennis tournament takes place on the outdoor hard court at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center (New York).

US Open 2020 takes place from 31/8 to 13/9 this year and after a week, Roland Garros 2020 will start fighting on clay field in Paris (France). Rafael Nadal and Bianca Andreescu are the two defending champions of the US Open in the men’s and women’s singles, but both are not participating in this tournament.

Nadal withdrew from the US Open over concerns about safety in the context of the COVID-19 translation has not ended. Meanwhile, Bianca Andreescu said her preparation and performance have been affected by the COVID-19 translation.

The impact of COVID-19 translation on US Open 2020

Due to concerns about the COVID-19 translation, the organizers announced that the US Open 2020 took place without an audience. This is the first time in the history of this tournament that no audience has come to see it.

Players entering the US will not be quarantined, but must be tested for viruses before they arrive in New York. During the tournament, they will still have to be tested. If a player is positive for COVID-19, they will be forced to withdraw from the US Open 2020.

Bonuses for the US Open 2020

Due to the effects of the epidemic of acute respiratory infections COVID-19, winners of the US Open men’s singles or women’s singles championship this year will have their bounty cut at $ 850,000. /people.

In the announcement on August 7, the organizers of the US Open said that this year’s event will take place without an audience and with a total prize money of 53.4 million USD, lower than the 57 million USD level of the season. 2019. Hence, each men’s and women’s singles championship will receive only $ 3 million, which is down from $ 3.85 million in 2019.

However, the bonuses for players who passed the first rounds were not affected, or even increased. Specifically, players who pass the first round this season will receive $ 61,000, which is up from $ 58,000 in 2019.

Continue Reading